Tuesday, 24 June 2008

Finally, Summer

Oh, I'm so happy - we've finally had some real summer weather. Yesterday (high of 72!) with sun - and today is the same. Oh bliss. So happy to be wearing official summer clothes - so SICK of my jeans and sweaters - with no need even for my pashmina wrap this morning on the school run. Yippee! The funny thing is, that I too am getting used to the chillier weather and so I might even say the word HOT - which is at least not the word other moms are using, which is scorching!! Honey, let me tell you about scorching.... But to be fair, no one has air conditioning here. They don't even have screens on windows or doors. No, that doesn't mean we don't have bugs - mosquitoes love water puddles, remember? And of course we have flies. And have I told you about the bees here? The first time one flew in, I was in shock. I'd never ever seen anything like it - it looks like a mouse dressed up a bee costume. It's huge. And if any of you remember Chloe's, um, dislike for bugs, you have an idea of some of the stress it causes.

And our company (Gail, Gene, and Oliver) is/are (depends if I'm speaking American or English) hopefully sitting down to a match at the Wimbledon Championships as I write. They left at 8:15 this morning to queue up for three of the 500 tickets that are released daily. The weather's perfect so fingers crossed.

I've also realized that I'm actually pregnant. I can't bend over properly anymore, I need to sit and rest, and just can't keep up the pace I expect I should. My body reacts strongly by saying loudly that I need to slow down or just sit for a bit. I'm comforted to hear that the other mom's I know that are expecting their third, are feeling the same.

********

Post continued three hours later:
Just got a quick call from Gail and they got -amazingly- the LAST three tickets for Centre Court! Unbelievable!! They had just finished watching Venus Williams play and had to rush to the next match - Nadal vs Beck I believe. I am so happy for them - the weather is PERFECT and they got tickets! Mia and I are now watching it on TV and are scanning the crowd for them. How exciting.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on the summer thing! Winters in Wisconsin are brutal and spring seemed to last forever and it was gloomy skies and rain... and now summer has arrived..party, play jump for joy. It is great yet bugs bugs and more bugs. We do have screens, and AC so I will no longer complain. I have updated my blog lots so check in. Take care!

Anonymous said...

Oh so jealous of your in-laws at Wimbledon. I got to go twice and it was such a neat thing! Didn't officially get centre court tix, but a great time nonetheless.

I'm with you on the summer thing though. I used to think year-round spring weather was a good thing about Ecuador, but I haven't put shorts on yet and I'm missing it. I think I'd rather live somewhere with real seasons.

p.s. we've been away so I'm now catching up on your last 3 posts. I love reading what you guys are doing.

Unknown said...

Hello Vanessa--so sorry to have missed you while you were here! We were in Sun Vallley escaping the heat (which I so take for granted!) CONGRATS on your pregnancy--so exciting--as is the news that you're coming back!! Hooray! I loved the lists of things you miss here--it makes me appreciate all the more, and try not to be too jealous of your international experience! Loves to the girls and Eugene,. and happy late 7th to Chloe!--Marriott