Saturday, 26 January 2008

I can't understand my own kids

So it's now in full force- folks said it would happen, but I didn't really think it was possible. Mia said to me this morning "Daddy has my hot" so I was confused and asked her to repeat herself (twice). Since we were putting on our jackets, I finally figured out that she was saying "Daddy has my HAT!" My kids are becoming British! Chloe's intonation in her sentences and questions started changing this week and she says some words like banana and want differently. I knew they/we would learn and say a lot of different words but I didn't really think the accent would happen.
We now say "trousers" instead of "pants" because pants means underwear. And there are a whole host of other words that you need to say if you don't want people to look at you funny or say "pardon?". Some examples that we have in current use are (english - american):
tracksuit - sweatsuit
macintosh - windbreaker
wellies - rainboots
jumper - sweater
in Airedale Rd - on Airedale Rd (in response to: where do you live?)
loo/toilet - bathroom
wee - pee
been sick - threw up
rubber - eraser
socket - outlet (electrical)
holiday - vacation
removal man - mover (man from a moving company)
buggy/pushchair - stroller
dummy - pacifier
on queue - in line
hoover - vacuum
biscuit - cookie
chips - french fries
crisps - chips
prawn - shrimp
have a chat - let's talk about it
have a think - let me think about it
come around for tea - come for a play date and I'll feed the kids an early dinner
collect your child from school - pick your child up from school

So if we start talking funny, just know that we've adapted to our new environment!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I remember making several older men laugh when I asked whether they would like pretzels... apparently they are called twists "over the pond," (as they also say!)

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my typo... kids were yelling behind me!