Thursday, 16 October 2008

TG it's not that I'm just too old

So as you know, this is my third pregnancy. It's been of late considerably rougher than my first two. I just assumed my 37 yr old body had had enough of this pregnancy thing and Eugene's whole theory that my body was just perfectly designed to carry and birth babies was now flawed. Well, during my midwife appointment yesterday, we really discussed the pain I've been having on and off (and in the last days more on) and what is causing it. I think I, like so many, just assume that pain and discomfort are just part of the pregnancy package. This is my first one that is so uncomfortable, which again I just attributed to age and a worn out body. Well after our long discussion (gotta love a private midwife - not only does she come to your home but stays an hour) which included why doing prenatal yoga was actually NOT good for me, nor was tailor sitting and squatting and after I did some online research into both "issues" realized that THAT's what's been going on.

Issue one: Baby's positioning;
I have a baby that keeps going sunny side up (head down thank goodness) but face to my belly, which means that most of it's weight (head, back, bum) is towards the back (causing back pain) and more bathroom runs. Also makes for stronger feeling Braxton Hicks as it's weight shifts about. The baby can't get comfortable so it's using the space in my stretched out uterus to try and get comfy, which explains why it moves most when I'm walking. Those probably WERE log rolls that I mentioned in my other post, along with some nice head butts. It's in my interest both because of the weeks ahead AND the actual birth, to get it turned around. So now I'm back on my hands and knees to get it better positioned, again.

Issue two: "Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction"
In all my childbirth training (both to birth my kids and then the training I took to teach others) I never heard of the "Pubis Symphysis." In this last trimester of pregnancy, not only has my back been hurting, but my entire pelvis had been feeling, bruised and sore, and I had shooting pains down the insides of my thighs. When I would describe the pain to my yoga teacher or my osteopath, they would nod and say "it's your pubis symphysis." So I finally looked it up. In short, it's the joint between the two front sides of the pelvis. It (like all joints in pregnancy) widen to make room for the babe, but sometimes, it gets out of alignment or widens too far. This is evidently what's happened to me. And apparently, this can happen even if your not 37 and having your third. It just sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't. And there are degrees of severity - some women can barely walk at all. So, in short I'm feeling less of a lame-o and a bit more understanding of my body.

It's all been a bit unsettling because I've never had anything "wrong" in pregnancy. I'm feeling a bit better, because now all these symptoms are explained and I have things to do/not do to make them better.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Vanessa, my pubic bone hurts SO bad in my pregnancies! Libby's was the worst. Find a chiropractor who works with babies and pregnant moms - www.icpa4kids.com - and get it adjusted. It will not only help you feel a TON better, but also help to get that baby repositioned.
I also read today that more babies are posterior in the winter than in the summer. It seems that if your belly is too cold (I know, doesn't seem possible!), the baby will try to snuggle up to you.
Thinking of you my friend!

Nicole said...

I hear you! Both of my girls were "sunny side up". Not fun! I didn't realize that was why I had the insane braxton hicks though. Interesting. I second Kim's suggestion of the chiropractor. I had the Pubis Symphysis issues with Aurora and it helped SO MUCH......well for the pain, not the positioning. My body just seems to hold babies backwards. LOL

Michelle Smiles said...

Sorry you aren't feeling so great.

My doctor always had to prod me for a list of my aches and pains so she could be sure they weren't anything to worry about because I just assumed that it wasn't supposed to be comfortable. For me it was the hip pain at night. Lying on my side was the only option but it was so painful.

Hope you find some relief!