Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Easter Weekend - Cornwall






Euge had Friday and Monday off for Easter weekend so we went down to the SW English coast area called Cornwall. We took the train down for the four hour trip (instead of who knows how long by car) and stayed three nights at a hotel that specializes in families. They had an indoor pool, kids clubs and entertainment, game room, kid food and even a baby listening service for those parents that wanted to put their kids to bed and then have dinner alone.
The hotel was right on the coast so on one side of the hotel you had spectacular views to the ocean and waves crashing into cliffs and on the other side of the hotel our room overlooked pastures, hills and fields dotted with sheep and horses. A wild contrast. The wind was also wild - making it "fresh" as they call it here (means freakin cold).

Cornwall is pretty much known for surfing (there were die hard windsurfers out), beaches/tourism, and dairy in the form of ice cream, clotted creams, cheese and the flaky crust of a "pasty." A pasty (short a) is shaped like an empanada and filled with things like potatoes, onions, steak, sausage or cheese. We were a bit suspicious but they were surprisingly good!

One impressive thing to note is the coastal road that winds along the coves and bays. It is often not wide enough for two cars or sometimes BARELY fits two cars. To make matters interesting, there are stone hedges that are on both sides of the road (can't see over them) with ZERO shoulder or give space. Didn't take a photo as I think I was holding my breath or trying not to be sick as we weaved around all the corners, hoping there was no car coming the other way. Thankfully, we were in a cab and not trying to navigate it ourselves!

1 comment:

Lisa R.D. said...

This sounds like such a wonderful weekend and adventure. I've actually eaten pasties before--in the upper peninsula of Michigan of all places--when I was a little girl. I still remember that I really liked them. Thanks for sharing all of your fun pictures and stories!